- Shakopee, MN, USA
Protect life, safeguard the property and maintain peace and order on the grounds of the Association through the enforcement of the laws of the State, the rules and regulations of the Minnesota Racing Commission and the rules of the Association. This role requires having the proper licensing for an Officer, and those who also have their EMT certification will be paid at a $1.00 premium pay rate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Examine and become thoroughly familiar with every part of the assigned area and report all obstructions and other nuisances that endanger the safety of the public.
- Keep a sharp lookout for fires and other safety hazards and call police or fire department in cases of emergency.
- Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of employees, guests, and other visitors to guard against theft and maintain security of premises.
- Prepare necessary reports relating to all incidents encountered on applicable forms in a neat and precise manner acceptable for outside distribution.
- When staffing the security office, Officer shall monitor alarm systems, sign in and out keys and audiovisual equipment to authorized personnel, admit staff and visitors to the building, checking in and signing out deliveries, and answering the security office telephone.
- Escort people/property when money, documents or protection of assets or people are a concern.
- Circulate among guests and employees to preserve order and protect property.
- Answer alarms and investigate disturbances.
- Handle any disturbances and violations of association rules and regulations.
- Warn people of rule infractions or violations, and apprehend or evict violators from premises, using force when necessary.
- Apprehend those engaged in activities of a criminal or disturbing nature.
- Be familiar with and understand Canterbury Park's Emergency Action Plan and evacuation procedures and carry out emergency procedures as necessary.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High School Diploma/GED OR any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- Excellent communication skills, judgment, high moral integrity and strong work ethic.
- Ability to interact cordially with all guests, employees, and the public.
- Ability to assess and evaluate situations effectively and identify critical issues quickly and accurately while following protocol.
- Must be able to pass Canterbury Park's pre-employment screening which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, drug screening, and Canterbury Park's Safe Driving Policy.
- Must be able to attain a Minnesota Racing Commission (MRC) license.
- Previous education and/or experience in Law Enforcement.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain a flexible working schedule, which may include nights and weekends during the live race season May – September.
- While performing the essential duties of this job, the employee must be able to stand, walk, and sit which may be required for long periods of time, and may involve climbing stairs, walking up inclines, or on uneven terrain throughout their assigned shift.
- Occasional bending, kneeling, crouching, jumping, and crawling.
- Ability to operate and communicate through speaking and hearing via radio or telephone equipment.
- This position sometimes involves working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Canterbury Park is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.